David L Strickland David L. Strickland
Associate Professor of Sociology
East Georgia College
131 College Circle
Swainsboro, GA 30401
Phone: 478-289-2061 Fax: 478-289- 2141
Spring 2013 Classes COURSE CRN COURSE NUMBER SECTION MEET TIME MEET DAY LOCATION SYLLABUS TEXTBOOK Introduction to Sociology SOCI 1101 A 0900 - 0950 MWF C255 Online* My Sociology Introduction to Sociology SOCI 1101 B 0925 - 1040 TR C255 Online* My Sociology Introduction to Sociology SOCI 1101 C 1100 - 1150 MWF C255 Online* My Sociology Introduction to Sociology SOCI 1101 D 1215 - 1330 TR C255 Online* My Sociology SOCI 1160 W Online Online* Provided Online* Student Success EGAC 1100 A 1100-1150 T C255 Inside text Student Success Student Success EGAC 1100 W Online Inside text Student Success Once the semester starts students will need to log onto Desire2Learn and Click on the SYLLABUS FOLDER to view and print the syllabus and other syllabus related documents (such as table of deadlines).
TEXTBOOKS Title: My Sociology
Authors: Strickland, Strickland, Basirico, Cashion, & Eshleman
ISBN Number: 978-1-60229-844-6
Publisher: BVT Publishing, LLC
**The My Sociology textbook is loose leaf format with a built in workbook and study guide. Students will be assigned to complete certain of the workbook pages prior to the class session in which a particular chapter is to be discussed. The textbook is available from the East Georgia College bookstore (478-289-2098).
****The Student Success textbook Will be distributed in class.
It is loose leaf format so students will need to bring a 3-ring binder (about 1 inch to 11/2 inch size).
This book includes a built in calendar planner that can be used to design study plans for every semester until graduation.
Social Problems *** No textbook is required for the Marriage and Family course. Instead, readings (such as journal articles) will be assigned that can be found online or at the library.
Comparison of Study Behaviors for Successful and Unsuccessful Students for FALL 2011 On average … A
(A, B, or C)
(D or F)
How often did they attend class? 91 % of classes 80 % of classes 67% of classes 60 % of classes How many study guide assignments did they complete (out of 10)? 10 out of 10 8 out of 10 5 out of 10 4.5 out of 10 What was the average final exam score? 94.6 81.6 45.4 33.8
ABOUT STUDENT SUCCESS
The following statements are excerpts from an anonymous survey and were written by students who took Student Success during Fall 2011.
ABOUT THE COURSE
· The Student Success class helped me to see that being organized and keeping up with my class assignments really does pay off. Student Success has helped me become a better student, by being prepared and having a study plan so that I can do my best on each test. I am glad that East Georgia offers this course.
· It has helped me to become a better test taker, a better note taker, and a better listener. I have become more organized with my dates and keeping things in track. My notes are more developed and my studying has more effective.
· After finally reading the chapters it begin to help me to realize what kind of learner I was and how to manage my studying according to my learning type and also it gave me step by step instruction on how to manage my time and how to apply it in my daily activities.
· Student Success helped me learn to plan by days and when to do what for my classes.
· This course taught me to be a better student by scheduling my days.
· It taught me to be organized.
· This course has introduced me to many new and creative ways to study and this will help to advance the level in which I am learning.
· It teaches you how to plan for everything in life and in my opinion everything needs a plan.
· This course will help me to stay structured and organized.
· This course has helped me to become more organized and maintain my progress in school. This course has showed me some helpful ways to study and take notes to make me grade in class even better. This class is very helpful for students just getting out of high school because college is way different from high school.
· I have learned things about EGC that will definitely help me graduate, and I will also have a plan of action for studying that I have never had before.
· This course introduced new ways to study.
· It will help with making it through college a little easier and keeping life in general organized.
· The Student Success class helped me become intellectually curious.
· It helped me plan classes and how to study better.
· I never studied in high school, and this class has taught me great ways to study. I have also learned the classes that I need to graduate.
· The class helped me to learn to organize my study habits. It has helped to stay organized and remember to complete my assignments on time. Thanks!
ABOUT THE BOOK
· The book is awesome and a lot more helpful than the actual class.
· The student success book because the book contains all the information needed to learn all the things that new students need to know for their first years of college
ABOUT THE PROFESSOR
· It was helpful to me because I came into to college very confused on many things and he showed me the brighter things.
· The professor helped me to see that there were different ways to make a study plan and told me to go with the way that best fit me. He told me easier ways to stay organized with all my school work and tests.
· It will benefit my personal life because I will always remember the great tips he gave me on college courses.
Results from the Student Success Course Evaluation for Fall 2010
I delivered the course evaluation for my Student Success class online in Vista. I added a couple of special questions at the end to see what students think of the course and how they think it could be improved. More students actually took the time to answer the questions than I expected. The survey was anonymous. I have created some links to a list of the replies in case anyone is interested. Just click on the question below to see the responses.
- Question 15 (regular question) How will this course benefit your professional and/or personal life?
- Question 16 (added) Please explain how the Student Success class helped you personally (if it did).
- Question 17 (added) Please describe any ways that you feel the Student Success class can be improved.
Office Form Links
- East Georgia College Home Page
- East Georgia College Library - Voyager
- GALILEO - (Georgia Library Learning Online)
- Online Library Learning Center
- WebCT Vista Log-On Page
- WebCT Vista Help
- EGC Webmail
- Faculty Advisor BANNER
- University System of Georgia
- APA Style Information
- Grammar Slammar
- Guide to Grammar and Writing
- Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation
- Online English Grammar
- Webster's Dictionary
- Visual Thesaurus
Sick Leave Form
Sick Leave Monthly Report
In the News
Social Construction of Reality
Kendall said "I'm not going to eat this s---"and was jailed. (Click picture for article.)
DISCLAIMER: The content of personal and other unofficial home pages is not sanctioned by East Georgia College and does not represent official information or opinions of the College. David L. Strickland is solely responsible for the contents of this page.